TurkTelekom is the largest landline, ISP and GSM supplier in Turkey. They've started offering these services under different brands with their management team. They were basically house of brands. As their size grew it become harder to manage three different sections of the company and they've decided to merge all brands (along with their managements) into one and adopt Branded House business ideology. Shift through Branded House also meant they were going forward to merge their board members and eventually their decisions. Before this, all the managers had their own responsibility and their own KPI's that they were meant for their customers. And at that point, while everything was stormy on the management levels, it was impossible for them to sit and discuss their methods for months. This was the problem and this needed to be solved immediately.
Problem was clear but not the solution. How could managers learn from each other while they're keeping up with their daily responsibilities? Turns out, every manager was briefed daily KPI lists from their analysists to move forward with their decisions. The analysts were using similar software which was already built on the same systems and using similar algorithms to generate the value outputs. Which meant, the data output was similar for every manager. That stroke out one problem; trying to translate the alien KPI into a meaningful one. But then immediately another one came up. The brief that's being sent in the morning was a CSV export with more than 200 lines. Counting 4 different stakeholders that we needed to connect which meant 800 different KPI's in total. And all of them were actively referenced.
Eight hundred KPI's. The strings were different but luckily the output values did have a pattern that we can follow. So we've sat down and created a chart with several different types of graphical visualization and matched every single KPI -which was just 9 different types of values that were generated. This greatly narrowed down the visualization problem. Stakeholders were quite happy how they're going to be visualized. But the issue wasn't solved at that moment. We've noticed that the expactation was to see all the KPI's (let me remind the number; 200 per stakeholder) all at once. It was beyond doable. I've come up with a plan to trim down, at least prioritize the KPI's that are going to be viewed.
What we've done is wrote down every KPI's name on a single card and created a board with 3 columns named as "Must Have - Nice to Have - Good to Have" and piled down all the cards on the table. We've asked stakeholders to pile down every card on the board and we've ended up having all the cards on the first row. On the second round, we've limited first two columns to 9 rows and the last column had indefinite stacks. We also asked to sort the cards in their importance levels too. To be fair, our first column was going to be personalised landing pages for each stake holder. Second column is going to be detailed report page and the third column was just going to be an index for the rest of the reports.
As the stakeholders were extremely busy during the day we could able to get in touch during the end of the days or very early in the morning. So I've left plenty of time to digest, analyse and dig through the findings. What I was also doing creating a visual style and playing around with the 9 different visualisations that we've decided. I've created a design system was delivered through Zeplin and also created a grid/card-based column system which was future proof in case if there's any customization needed in the future. Even though every stakeholder knows each other's role pretty well right now, the dashboard we've created still in daily use and it's planned to expand it's usage to senior managers too.